The human being is designed to move, yet some 86% of Full Time American workers spend most of their days sitting. Add sitting and sleeping and you have a day spent mostly inactive.
Here are the movement problems that are caused or made worse by extensive sitting:
- Decreased hip mobility (especially extension)
- Decreased thoracic mobility (specifically excessive kyphosis, or forward curvature)
- Decreased shoulder mobility (rounded forward and drawn inward)
- Lack of shoulder stability due to lack of scapular movement
- Poor core coordination and strength
- Gluteal amnesia (the glutes stop working)
- Head-forward posture (really bad for your neck)
It’s pretty horrifying when you realize that excessive sitting alone can make you a poorly functioning human being. The video below is a 30 second routine that can greatly improve your quality of movement and living.